Thursday, March 20, 2014

Most Prized Possessions

In no particular order:

Burberry Brit is the scent I've been wearing for ten years and probably will wear forever.  This is approximately my 20th bottle.  


The mobile above Henry's crib, made out of porcelain beads.  We wanted it to look like jellyfish tentacles.  Kyle and I spent a week making this and I loved to look at it while falling asleep before Henry was born.  The first sounds Henry made were made staring at this mobile.  



Rocks and sand from Lake Superior my brother George and I collected, housed in an antique silver shell for sugar.  



Scientific drawing of my dog Max, drawn by Kyle for my 26th birthday.  This is about a three and half foot frame, so it's quite a large drawing and I love it.  The frame has been painted various colors.  


A unique reproduction of a Boy with Thorn, a Greco-Roman statue.  Given to me by Kyle as a Mother's Day present before Henry was born.  We just found out we were having a boy and this made the statue even more precious to us.  I had seen in an antique store years before.  


Technically, I possess Henry, so he made the list.  


The license plate to my very first car.  My best friend Ashlyn and I vowed that our first license plates would read ASHNES.  ASH for Ashlyn, NES for Vanessa.  She, too, had the same one, only in Wisconsin.  This hangs above my stove today.  



My food magnet collection.  This is an obsession.  



Cut paper silhouettes of me and Kyle.  



A 1969 Ephiphone Sorrento, made in Kalamazoo, Michigan, given (on permanent loan) to me by my father in law.  It was his father's and I play it regularly.  It is a beautiful guitar and sounds lovely amplified. 



Our Polaroid collection.  We have at least a hundred or so.  They go back to our last couple of years of college.  



This is probably one of the most important things in my life.  A Dollywood mug, purchased for my by my brother George.  I mentioned it to him in passing that I would like one and he, only a little boy at the time, insisted that I have one.  You can see that I was drinking coffee out of it earlier.  



A fraction of my record collection.  Some purchased, some inherited, some hated, but kept anyway.  I only buy vinyl, so these are pretty important.  



The first toy I bought for Henry.




Set of 1959 porcelain mermaids.  I bought these at a garage sale long before I was even dating Kyle.  I knew they would hang in my bathroom some day.  I love the kitchyness of them and I also love mermaids.  




The handmade quilt my grandmother was making when my mom was born.  This is used everyday by me.



A Sunday School chair that my cousin Caleb wrote his name and initials on twenty years ago.



Wing back chairs from my grandmother.  




Vintage mirror from my aunt, in powder blue.  



Vintage dresser, given to me by my aunt.  I don't know the time period, but I'm guess it's 1940's.  




Handmade lap quilt from my mother.



Portrait of three of my grandmother's sisters.  



Vintage high chair purchased for my future children long before I was pregnant.  

4 comments:

  1. I love your house and everything in it! I always feel cozy and happy to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just talking with Margaret about how we love your sense of style and how well you've defined it to be 'you'. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Burberry Brit still makes me think of you -- imprinted on my brain from freshman year in Olds. :) Didn't you buy that high chair on our girls weekend in Louisville? Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the things that surround you.

    ReplyDelete